Sketchnotes

(update 4-18: found the full collection of Mike Rohde Sketchnotes on Flickr, so you can see them big and/or do a full-screen slideshow).

From the article “A Graphic Look at SXSWi 2009“:

Sharing notes at this year’s conference went beyond Twitter — there were a few folks at the SXSW Interactive Conference who took sketchnotes. Sketchnotes are elaborate notes with handwritten lettering and sketchy drawings of what is happening during the talk. They are an artform; a combination of comic strip and information design.  It takes a good listener and fast illustrator to get down a good sketchnote. The popularity of taking sketchnotes has grown and many people are now scanning in the pages of their moleskin and uploading them to flickr. I thought I would share with you a few of my favorites from this year’s conference.

One commenter said: “I’m so glad to see people ditching their laptops and doing something as audience members more interesting than just regurgitating text into documents and blog posts.” Maybe I need to ditch the laptop more often and try this since the highlighted part is describing me pretty well…

I found this article especially interesting because the session that’s continuing to make me think the most was “Shift Happens–Moving from Words to Pictures.”

2 thoughts on “Sketchnotes”